The Supersonic Ice Fountain and Experience Shower
Have you ever wondered why rugby players sit in an ice bath post game? Ice baths, cold water immersion, and cold therapy in general, deliver a variety of recovery benefits. They enable the players to return to a normal state of health, mind and strength – after a long day spent tackling people to the ground!
The experience shower and ice fountain here at Supersonic work in the same way (and go hand in hand with our infrared sauna). All designed to give you the best and most relaxing recovery possible.
The power of cold therapy
Cold therapy isn’t a new discovery, it is in fact one of the earliest medical treatments. The Edwin Smith Papyrus (3500 BC), the most ancient medical text known to man, mentions the use of cold therapy throughout.
A more modern example is Wim Hof, a Dutch daredevil/extreme athlete. Wim is based in the Netherlands and goes by the name ‘Ice Man’. He has great confidence in the incredible power of cold therapy, and uses it to boost his immune system. To such an extent that he has even injected himself with toxic bacteria without becoming ill! He claims he can train others to do the same, following just one week of cold therapy.
Cold therapy is reported to:
– Aid fat loss. Cold therapy increases calorie expenditure via shivering and non-shivering thermogenesis (the production of heat).
– Fight inflammation. Cold temperatures raise adiponectin, a protein that helps to prevent inflammation.
– Increase lifespan. One study found that flies lived twice as long when kept at 21°C, rather than 27°C!
– Strengthen the nervous system. Cold temperatures act as a mild workout for the nervous system, causing it to adapt and strengthen.
– Improve sleep quality. A Dutch study found that by cooling core body temperatures, participants achieved double the restorative, slow wave sleep.
– Prevent spots and dirt from collecting in the pores. The application of ice contracts the pores, which tightens the skin and keeps dirt out.
How do the Supersonic experience shower and ice fountain work?
The experience shower is easy to use. You simply push the buttons to customise your experience, by altering the shower pattern and temperature. Don’t be daunted by the variety of options, just have a go and see which you like best!
The ice fountains dispense ice chips, which you then rub onto your skin – it’s that simple.
We suggest that you alternate between the ice fountain, experience shower, and our standard or infrared sauna. This way you will experience some great ‘contrast therapy’. Alternating between contrasting temperatures forces your body tissue to quickly adapt, and this requires a lot of metabolic activity and circulatory work.
All that said, contrast therapy still delivers a gentle tissue workout. It isn’t a high-intensity activity, it instead stimulates the body without stress and with minimal movement. The experience is therefore highly beneficial to any part of the body which is in need of rest and recovery.
Give us a call, or drop by, if you would like to take a tour of the Supersonic recovery room. Or contact us to discover how the ice fountain and experience shower could benefit you – supersonicfitness.co.uk/contact/
You are now departing from the Supersonic website. Supersonic is not responsible for the information contained within these linked sites.