The Importance of Stretching
If You Don’t Use it, You Lose it!
Whether you are an exercise fanatic or not the importance of stretching is vital. Stretching = increased flexibility and mobility. There are many reasons for why muscles become tight or stiff, both through exercise and lack of exercise – after all.. if you don’t use it, you lose it!
Here are some great ways of helping you to achieve a pain free, flexible body. All in which you can find here at Supersonic!
Sports Massage Therapy – recommended every 4-6 weeks or more frequently if injured
A regular sports massage can be a great help to both athletes and non-athletes, whether you are injured or not. Sports massage is a hands on manipulation where a therapist physically stretches the muscles/myofascial tissues to help release tension and pressure build up.
Foam Roller – recommended before and after workout or as necessary
A foam roller has similar affects to a massage but is self-administered and can be a little tricky at times. It can be a great way to release the tension within the myofascial tissue. This is the strong fibrous connective tissue that supports and protects your muscles and bones. A foam roller helps to stretch and manipulate these tissues and reduce pain.
Benefits of sports massage and foam rolling:
- Reduces stress and promotes relaxation both mentally and physically
- Reduces Delayed Onset Muscles Soreness (DOMS) post exercise
- Breaks down scar tissue from injury and promotes recovery time
- Reduces pain
- Reduced the risk of injury
- Increases flexibility, joint mobility and promotes movement
- Act as a great warm up or cool down to exercise.
- Boosts performance
Stretching – recommended daily
We may think it’s boring but the benefits of stretching far out-weigh the time it takes to do them. There are over 7 different ways in which we can stretch our body , with various pieces of equipment too. Here at Supersonic we offer various stretch classes and yoga classes where we can teach and guide you through various movements to help ease your aches and pains.
Benefits of stretching:
- Decreases muscle stiffness and increases range of motion
- Prepares the body for the stress of exercise
- Reduces DOM’s
- Prevents Injury
- Increased flexibility and joint mobility
- Stretching can be done anywhere
If you’re in need of some advice about how stretching can benefit you or need to know the right approach for you then just ask one of the Supersonic team.